APSA, in collaboration with Naktuinbouw & UPOV, will be hosting a new PVP Toolbox Workshop, with the purpose to create the awareness on the plant variety protection, plant breeders‘ rights under UPOV1991 convention for key counterparts in the seed industry especially farmers. This event aims to build the capacity of national seed associations and their stakeholders on the importance of Plant Variety Protection and UPOV1991 convention through a tailer-made program specific for each target country. It will aslo help to create awareness on the commercialization of new developed plant varieties for all departments (breeders, seed producers, sales, and regulatory affairs) related to PVP application and commercialization of the new developed variety.
This event is specifically for members of the Thai Seed Trade Association (THASTA) and the Philippine Seed Industry Association (PSIA), and will feature the follpowing e-learing modules:
Introductory Session on E-learning Modules by Naktuinbouw (22 September 2021)
- Opening session for 25 participants (12 from Thailand and 13 from Philippines)
- Brief intro by Naktuinbouw team on the e-learning modules. All participants are required to join this session to understand how to use e-learning platform.
- Zoom link will be sent out to participants by APSA directly
- The access to e-learning platform is provided by Naktuinbouw
E-Learning Module 1 by Naktuinbouw (29 September – 7 October 2021)
- UPOV convention
- Breeder and Varieties
- Genera and species and National treatment
- UPOV documents
- UPOV Prisma
- Scope of Breeders’ Rights and exception - FSS
- Conditions for protection
E-Learning Module 2 by Naktuinbouw (29 September – 7 October 2021)
- Principle of DUS testing
- Workflow of DUS procedure
- Role of DNA in DUS examination
- Commercialization and Enforcement
- Questionnaire from both e-learning modules
E-Learning Module 3 - Live session, Presentation, Panel discussion & Live Q&A session
8 October 2021 at 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm ICT (GMT+7) – Thai interpretation is available.
- Understanding the Genera and species, National treatment and Scope of Breeders’ Rights and exceptions by UPOV secretariat.
- General process for the countries moving from UPOV1978 to UPOV1991 act and future UPOV memberships by UPOV secretariat.
- Challenges to become a UPOV member shared by a representative from Nigeria.
- Commercialization (PVP) and Enforcement
- PVP for the international trade: example from Japan, Europe and a multinational company investing in Asia.
Though this workshop is made specifically for members of the Thai Seed Trade Association (THASTA) and the Philippine Seed Industry Association (PSIA), we also invite any Active APSA Members to attend the E-Learning Module 3 LIVE session on 8 October 2021 from 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm ICT (GMT+7) who are interested to participate and learn more.
If you are a member of the Thai Seed Trade Association (THASTA) and the Philippine Seed Industry Association (PSIA) and wish to attend, please contact your National Seed Association directly. But if you are an ACTIVE APSA Member and is interested in attending the workshop, please contact APSA's Membership Coordination Manager, Mr. Komsak Kamjing (Bobbie) at email@example.com